TWC’s 2015-16 Speaker Series
What Is a Brand and Where Can I Get One?
Contemporary publicity and marketing strategies for authors and their books
with literary publicist Claire McKinney
October 25, 2-4 PM
Whether you are traditionally published or publishing on your own, as an author you’ll be responsible for promoting your book. In this workshop, publishing veteran and public relations strategist Claire McKinney will:
- Explain branding in terms of books and writers
- How and when you should start your promotion efforts
- Finding different angles to target markets for your work
- Keeping a pre-publication checklist, what needs to be on it, and why
- The fundamental differences between publicity for a traditionally published or indie book
- Creating a timeline of activities that will keep you on track for the best marketing opportunities throughout the publication process
- Digital versus traditional marketing and publicity
- Social media; content marketing; and bookstores and other retail opportunities-what you need to know about how they work
Claire McKinney has been working in public relations and publicity for twenty years. She has written about publishing for websites and blogs; Publishers weekly; and recently was on the Today Show to provide expert commentary on indie publishing.
Prior to starting her own company she was the VP, Director of Publicity for Henry Holt and Company and the Director of Publicity for Miramax Books. Some of the authors and personalities she has worked with include Della Reese, Madeleine Albright, Cheryl Ladd, James Patterson, Walter Mosley, Tim Russert, Rick Moody, George Pelecanos, Heidi Julavits, and Kristin Gore.